These crumpets look and taste like the real thing! Serve with jam for a delicious breakfast!
- 300g (12 Loprofin Low Protein Mix
- 1 Sachet Easy Blend Yeast (supplied with Mix)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 250ml (10fl oz) tepid water
- 1 carton Loprofin PKU Drink, tepid
- Vegetable oil
- Place the Loprofin Mix, yeast, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Combine the water and PKU drink and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly for 4-5 minutes to form a thick batter. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour
- Pour a drop of oil into a non-stick frying pan and rub around the surface with kitchen roll. Place the pan over a medium heat and drop in tablespoons of the mixture.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the surface of the crumpets appears dry and ‘holey’. Flip the crumpets over and cook for a further minute to colour the top.
- Carefully remove from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack/kitchen towel. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Makes 20-24 crumpets
Serve 2 toasted crumpets with 50g (2oz) raspberry jam and fresh raspberries on the side.
Serve 2 toasted crumpets with 50g (2oz) honey or maple syrup. Serve with fresh fruit on the side.