A heart warming winter stew. Perfect as the nights start to draw in and the temperature starts to drop.
The stew can be frozen & the dumplings freeze well but are best frozen uncooked. So just cook the amount you need for one meal and freeze the remainder.
For the stew:
- 200g Onions
- 150g Carrots
- 100g Parsnips or turnips
- 100g Sweet potatoes
- 100g Celery
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes
- 200mls Water
- Salt & pepper
- Few drops suitable gravy browning
For the Dumplings:
- 75 g Fate All-Purpose mix
- 25 g block margarine
- 35 mls water
- Extra Fate All-Purpose mix to shape
- Salt & pepper
- Chop the onions, carrots, parsnips or turnips, sweet potatoes and celery into even sized pieces. Heat the oil in a pan and gently heat. Cover the pan with a lid and leave to cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in the tomato purée, the tin of tomatoes and the water.
- Season with salt and pepper and add a few drops of gravy browning to give a rich colour.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat. Leave to simmer gently for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Meanwhile make the dumplings: Place the Fate All Purpose Mix into a bowl and rub in the block margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in salt and pepper and add the water.
- Using a metal spoon, mix well until the mixture is smooth. (It should be just like a soft pastry dough).
- Take about a teaspoon of mixture and using a little extra All-Purpose Mix on your hands, roll into a ball. Put the shaped dumpling on a plate while you shape the rest of the dumpling mixture.
- To Finish: Make sure your low protein stew is cooking and simmering well.
- Take the dumplings and gently place them on the top of the stew in the saucepan. Do not stir in. Put a lid on the pan and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- They will have risen and be light and fluffy. After this time, it is a good idea to take a dumpling out of the pan and cut it in half to test that it is cooked.
Eileen Green © ~ Fate Special Foods