Pastry bases, filled -with juicy fruit, and then a crumble topping gently flavoured with a hint of cinnamon.
As these cakes are so easy and quick to make, I have devised this recipe to make 24 little cakes made in a patty tin.
They store perfectly in the freezer, and are so useful to have hot or cold for puddings, packed lunches or for a snack with a cup of tea ~ the 24 little cakes will soon disappear!
You can use any kind of fruit allowed in your diet. They are delicious made with apples, plums or any fresh soft fruit, but almost any canned or jar of fruit you have in the cupboard will be suitable. Our favourites are made with cherries, the kind that come in jars, or canned summer fruits in juice.
First prepare the pastry:
- 250g Fate All-Purpose Mix
- 125g block margarine or butter
- pinch salt
- 30g caster sugar
- 5Omls water
- Preheat the oven, Gas 6 200°C 400°F
- Place the Fate All-Purpose Mix into a mixing bowl, and stir in the salt. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, the continue until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Measure the water into a separate dish, and stir in the sugar. Add this to the All-Purpose Mixture, and using a metal spoon, mix quickly until it is smooth and creamy. Do not worry if you think the mixture is very soft, just leave it to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Lightly dust the work surface with extra All-Purpose mix, and knead the pastry for a minute or so until smooth. Then roll it out to about ½ cm thick. Cut it out into rounds and place into a patty tin. There is no need to grease it.
Then prepare the crumble topping and put it all together:
- 250g Fate Low Protein Cake mix
- 50g block margarine or butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the Fate cake mix into the bowl, and rub in the margarine or butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cinnamon
- If you are using fresh fruit, prepare it and cut into small pieces, or leave small fruits whole. If you are using canned or jarred fruit, drain well.
- Place a little fruit in the base of each pastry case, then sprinkle on some crumble topping.
- Bake in pre~heated for about 20 mins till firm and browned. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for a couple of mins before placing on a wire rack to cool.
Delicious eaten hot or cold. They will keep well for a few days stored in an airtight container. Or they freeze well, just wrap individually in film and place into a suitable bag to store.
Eileen Green © ~ Fate Special Foods